Why you shouldn't do GCE A/Ls



Advanced levels. Traditional, easy, straight-forward and possibly the path most followed. But it can also be a dead end. Before I go rambling on about how A/Ls can delay your life I want to say that these are purely my thoughts and I am just sharing my experiences here. I'm simply providing insight for people who might think that A/Ls is the only way for a successful future so that they can think again for themselves and make a better informed decision about whether it is the right choice or not. If you do have any thoughts or queries on this topic feel free to leave them in the comments section below. On with the rambling now:

You do not HAVE to do A/Ls. You can, but you don't HAVE to.

This was an idea I picked up on recently. I didn't really have any thoughts going on to do A/Ls myself because I was interested in doing medicine and knew only the traditional path of getting my degree (which I found out that there were not so traditional and faster pathways of doing this later on). However, having done a second shy and waiting on my results as of now (not so enthusiastically), life seems pretty uncertain. And I've come to know that, that thing people say about how "if you get into university, your life will be set", for one, requires you to actually get into university and for two, is only partly true but more on that in a future post. What I want to say now is how I would respectfully agree to disagree on the idea that A/Ls is the right choice for everybody in a time where there are so many other options available.

Presently the number of students enrolling in private universities for higher education is staggering compared to what it was. I think the main reason is even with very good results, if you are not selected for the limited seating in local university, the only option you have is to pursue your dreams in the private sector. The only issue with free education is that it's highly highly competitive. Where twenty to thirty years ago apparently there was only a handful of students who got 'A's or 'B's, there are hundreds if not thousands of kids who perform exceptionally well by those standards today. The limited opportunity, the need to prove yourself and the immense lack of guarantee not knowing if you'll qualify to go where you want to is slowly encouraging more and more people to look into alternatives. Especially in fields like IT and even engineering there are an abundance of universities willing to offer you what you need, to get to where you want to be. And taking them will only make your life go faster. For some of you it might feel like cheating or a shortcut because you won't be going through school like everyone else and a faster future just sounds too good to be true, but as long as you remember the value of money (as it will be expensive), consider it trading your money for your time and i'll let you decide which one you'd rather have.

I feel I should mention that free education truly is a blessing. I feel thankful for it because in a way even though I might not appreciate the full value of it, I know for a fact that without it, I probably might not even be here today. I'm sure many people including my parents owe it to free education for the lives they lead today and the status they've been able to achieve having put in the work. They would not be where they are and me as a person would probably not even exist (questioning my existence rn :'|).

Anyway my point is, if a two and a half year journey leading to a strong competition with limited seating in the cafeteria is not up your alley, there are other ways students accomplish the exact same thing way quicker. In a time where you can even pursue medicine after finishing your O/Ls, opportunities are of abundance, you just have to look for them. (and subscribe and read informative blog posts such as mine.

Related posts

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A journey to the forbidden: Ritigala strict nature reserve

Opportunities: A pathway to network engineering

I started a Youtube channel