It's okay to not STICK to your New Years resolution

 New Years. A time for resolutions, commitments and chances of thinking to better yourself. Somewhere down the road it might go down the drain leaving you stuck watching Netflix on the couch 24/7, but never fear. It does happen to the best of us.

I don't like making my New Years resolution a big thing. I feel like it adds too much pressure when I'm just trying to apply myself productively or learn something new. Taking that pressure out and simply just agreeing to do 3 sessions at the gym every week feels more freeing. It feels like you shouldn't eat your own head if you don't meet the criteria. But more, it helps you get back on track, if you miss a week or two even if you just felt too lazy. The key point I'm trying to make is, don't make it easier on yourself to quit your plans entirely because believe it or not, just because you could only go once this week does not mean all hope is lost. If anything it makes you stronger and more determined to get back into it. 

Clarifying your resolutions is also an important thing. The more you know what you want to do and must do in order to achieve, the more likely you will be to stick with it.

One thing I've found out that just doesn't work for me is To-do lists. With a big goal of maybe improving your guitar playing, you'd want to practice at least thrice a week and when I have that constant reminder on the back of my head it makes it a harder task to do and a less enjoyable one. I tried the app Todoist which I found out just isn't for me. I came across an interesting alternative in the My first million podcast where Shaan Puri described his distaste towards to do lists himself and what his method was. 

Thinking of weeks in 5 day increments. This is something I thought of and am hoping to put into practice myself because 5 day "weeks" sound interesting. This is arguably very anti-universal because the way the world works is in 7 day / week increments. But I thought about this recently and realised that if you think of a month in 7 day chunks, you end up with 4 weeks every month. Whereas if you were to think of a  month in 5 day chunks, you'd actually have 6 "weeks" every month. This blew my mind for a minute to know I could do more stuff in those 5 days and them 6 times a month would be more productive. This bodes well with the times as mostly everyone by now has no idea on days.

Make a journal. Record these trying times. Try holding yourself accountable all year. You'll be surprised how far a little discipline goes. 

Comment some of your New Years resolutions you're hoping to stick to in 2021.

Happy New Year. Have a great year. 

Related posts

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A journey to the forbidden: Ritigala strict nature reserve

Opportunities: A pathway to network engineering

I started a Youtube channel