My first time baking a cake

 I baked a cake for the first time and it's not that tough. My view on baking forever was mostly like if you have the needed equipment and the ingredients, how hard can it really be, and it still holds up for me. I'm sure many experienced bakers or chefs can disagree wholeheartedly with me because they would argue your touch and art makes a difference. I can see that but as i said i have zero experience with cooking except for the one cake i baked like a week ago and that may be something i have to figure out. The reason i'm somewhat documenting it is i know i'm going to forget how to do it later on and rereading this can refresh my memory. I'm also writing for anyone who has never baked a cake before and thinks its a hard task. It's not really if you have the right guidance. I was guided by my sister (who would strangle me if I left her out of the post even though she has no idea this blog exists) but be it youtube tutorial or random blog post you come across, if you follow along, you can enjoy a lovely cake made by you and that will feel rewarding. I felt like its sort of a cliche to have baked a cake and thats the main reason i was suddenly into it, but cooking in general i feel is a really useful skill to have even if you're the person who eats out every night. The gratification of eating your food baby (don't take it literally) is fulfilling in the sense of appetite and emotion. And you could eat my cake which was a relief.



First set up a scale and measure out 190g of flour, 10g of corn flour and 1g of baking powder.  No mixing is needed just yet so transfer it to a sifter. Next measure out 190g of sugar and blend the sugar to get powdered sugar. I used a blender and did it for about 10-15 seconds. Leave the powdered sugar and sift the earlier flour mixture. Once you're done with that take a bowl and add a whole chunk of butter into it. Make sure the butter is fairly melted because in the next stage where you beat the butter, solid butter can be resistible. Start the beating process and and once you've gotten a creamy buttery whisk, add the powdered sugar and continue the beating process. Once it is well-beaten together grab 4 eggs and add 1 of them into the bowl. Be sure to have the beater at a low speed because the watery egg might go everywhere (speaking from experience). Once one egg is well mixed add a second and go on until all the eggs are added and well mixed with the butter and sugar. You will have to grab a spatula next. A spatula is one of those things i heard about all the time but never knew what is was i'm glad to finally know now. Grab that spatula and add about one third of the flour mixture into the bowl and mix until you're confident it's well mixed then add another portion and do the same. I was commanded to do it in portions and it does help because it gets better mixed that way. Add vanilla and a little lemon while you're mixing. After all this you should be left with a thick creamy mixture which you can then pour into a cake pan. Add a few drops of butter to the bottom of the pan and place an oil paper over it. Cover the surface of the oil paper with butter as well. It makes it easier to remove the cake from the pan later on. The cake is almost done now. All that's left to do is to pop it in the preheated oven at 175 degree heat for 35 minutes. Be sure to preheat the oven for about 20 minutes. After 35 minutes the ding will conclude a baking achievement. Of course you can add icing and do decorations but what i made is a very basic vanilla cake which came out pretty nice actually. I thought the process would be longer but found it to not be.

I'm sure there's plenty ways to bake a cake but this is what i did and if that gets somebody to bake a cake for themselves, how great is that.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A journey to the forbidden: Ritigala strict nature reserve

Opportunities: A pathway to network engineering

I started a Youtube channel